Always warm up for 5-15 minutes
prior to stretching.
Move slowly when stretching. Take this time to
relax and focus on your breathing.
Depending on what you choose, music can help energize or
When lying on your back, move your legs one at a
time. Sudden movements with both legs can strain the
muscles of the lower back.
Stretch to the point of gentle tension. If something
hurts, stop immediately. Stretching should feel good.
Try to stretch at least twice a week. This workout can
take as little as 7-10 minutes, or as long as you'd like.
A few minutes every week can improve your performance, and prevent injuries, and
help you relax.
This is a good supplementary stretching program to your
existing workout for your off days.
- Neck Rotation
- Turn your head to the side, stretching your chin toward
your shoulder. Turn head back to center and repeat to the
- Shoulder Stretch
- Stand with feet shoulder width apart. Raise one arm
overhead and stretch as far as you can without bending
the torso. Repeat with opposite arm.
- Forearm Stretch
- Extend your right arm straight out in front of you, palm
downward. With the left hand, grasp the fingers of the
right hand and pull back gently, stretching the wrist and
forearm. Repeat with the left arm.
- Tricep Stretch
- Raise one arm straight up, so your upper arm is near your
ear. Bend at the elbow and let your hand fall to the back
of your neck. With the other arm, reach behind your head
and place your hand on top of the bent elbow. Gently pull
down and back on the elbow. Repeat with other arm.
- Trunk Stretch
- Stand with your feet a little more than shoulder width
apart. Reach your left arm overhead and bend to the right
at the waist. Repeat on opposite side.
- Torso Twist
- Stand at arm's length from the wall, with the wall at
your side. Reach one arm out and place your hand on the
wall. Reach the other arm around the body, stretching the
hand to the wall. Repeat on opposite side.
- Chest Stretch
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. Clasp your
hands behind your back and gently press your arms upward,
keeping your arms straight.
- Back Stretch
- Lie on your back and bring one knee to your chest. Hold
the knee with both hands and gently pull in. Alternate
knees and repeat.
- Hip Roll
- Lie on your back and bend your knees, feet flat on the
floor. Let your knees fall to the right while reaching
both arms across your body to the left. Hold the stretch,
then roll the hips over to the left, stretch arms to the
right and repeat the stretch.
- Lower Back Reach
- Sit on the floor with your legs straight out in front of
you. Reach forward toward your toes, keeping your chin up
and lower back slightly arched. Try not to round the back
or tuck the chin in - this decreases the effectiveness of
- Butterfly Stretch
- Sit on the floor, bend your knees out to the sides and
bring the soles of your feet together. Place your hands
on your knees and gently press the knees toward the floor.
Keep your back straight.
- Lateral Hip Stretch
- Sit on the floor with both legs straight in front of you.
Bend your left leg and place the left foot over the right
knee. Place your right hand on the outside of the left
knee and gently pull the knee toward your right shoulder,
twisting the torso to the left, until you feel the
stretch in your left hip. Repeat with opposite side.
- Hamstring Stretch
- Stand with legs shoulder width apart and the left leg
slightly in front of the right. Shift your weight to the
back leg (the right) and bend the knee, turning the knee
and toe to the right. Extend the left leg and place the
heel on the floor, toes in the air. Keep the back
straight and bend forward at the hips until you feel the
stretch in the hamstring of the left leg. Repeat with the
- Standing Hamstring Reach
- Stand with one foot crossed over the other. Bend at the
hips, reaching toward the floor and keeping the knees
slightly bent. Repeat with the opposite foot crossed in
- Sit on the floor with your legs extended to either side
so they form a "V". Bend forward, grasp your
toes or ankles, and stretch your chest toward the floor.
Try to go a little lower each time you perform the
- Leaning Calf Stretch
- Stand about 2 1/2 feet from a wall. Place your hands on
the wall and lean in, gently pushing your hips forward.
Keep your legs straight and heels flat on the floor.
- Standing Calf Stretch
- Stand with your feet together. Extend one leg in front of
you and place the heel on the floor, toes in the air.
Keeping the back straight, bend forward at the hips until
you feel the stretch in the calf. Repeat with opposite
- Quadricep Stretch
- Lie face down and reach back with your right arm to grasp
your right ankle. Pull your foot toward your buttocks. Be
sure to keep your hips and pelvis on the floor. Repeat
with left leg.
- Standing Quad Stretch
- From a standing position, reach back to grasp your right
ankle with your right hand. Pull your foot toward your buttocks. Place
your other hand on a wall or chair if you need balance support. Repeat
with left leg.